Thursday, February 23, 2006

Need some interview related advice.

I was looking around the questions commonly asked during interviews, and I found that "Tell me about yourself" question occurs frequently. To be honest, I at this point have no clue how to answer this best. I have given very few interviews in my life, and i have never been asked this question in any of my interviews, so I have no prior experience. And I cant think which would be the best direction to take.

I am sure that some of you out there know how to carve out a decent mouthful of words to satisfy the interview when asked such a question. If you can share, I would love to know what advice you would have for me.

( if for some reason, you cannot leave a comment, you can always email me at forrestgump47@gmail.com )

5 comments:

MBABlogger said...

Hey forrest have dropped you a mail.

sorebrek said...

I typically break it up into 1 or 2 points for each of the following sections:

(1) Ancient past - typically any interesting things like if you were born/raised in a foreign country or that you were on your country's olympic team etc.

(2) School - interesting stuff only with reasons.

(3) Work - again interesting progression only and your reasons for making choices.

(4) Future - quick mention of what you have done to get from here to there after your MBA.

(5) Community - leadership roles

(6) Fun - don't forget this.

Good luck FG!

angie said...

I basically sum up my CV in 5 minutes, it works pretty well. Don't be too short, really tell them who you are, what you have been doing with your life and why. Similar to the previous poster, I would suggest you talk about your studies, your work experience, the personal (married? etc.) and then hobbies/extracurricular, and then also motivation (just finish with why or that you really want to go to school X).

Good luck!

SgHama said...

This probably goes against conventional wisdom and what everyone is saying, but for me I think the most important thing is to just relax and say whatever comes naturally. Don't expect to cover all points and just try to come across as a reasonably intelligent person. After all, the interview for most schools is just another component and will not make/break your application. And the interviewer will probably not take detailed notes on what you are saying anyway. As long as the story is more or less consistent with your application it's fine. Good luck!

p.s. FYI - I've decided not to prep questions for my Wharton interview and I'm just gonna wing it (of course I'll reread my essays and surf the school website the day before but that's about it)

MBABlogger said...

lot of good advice :)