Friday, March 03, 2006

I have no words.....

I just finished my Kellogg interview around 40 mins back. And I really dont know what I should take away from it. The phone call came in 20 mins late, and then we spoke for not more than 20 mins (maybe even less), and that's it - adcom said "Sayonara", I said "Good bye" and it ended right there.

As I picked up the phone, the adcom apologised for being late. She cited that since I had given my cell phone number, it was difficult to get through. Infact, the first time I picked up the phone, niether of us could hear each other.

The interview was blind. Interviewer said that she had not read my file.

She began by asking me where you grew up and all - but I think the lack of visual feedback meant that I didnt quite understand that she wanted to know about my childhood etc, so I just ended up saying that I was born in such and such place, grew up there, and that's it. As soon as I finished saying that, I realised that most probably, this was not what she was expecting.

Neeways, over to the next question - the phone line went a little cranky, and I just heard the words career progression ( this - after she repeated the question on my request, and I didnt have the heart to ask her repeat the question again ). So I recited my career progression history. I think I did ok, but as is the case with me always, I am quite sure I could have done a better job.

Next came a tough question. She asked me to sell the services of my company to her(as if she was from a client company). This was a tough one, because although I work for a good company, I really dont know how to sell its services. I said what I could, but I think I got a tad repititive somewhere in the middle. So far, not so good.

Then, she asked me to tell me about my career goals, long term, short term ? I guess I answered this ok.
Next - why Kellogg, the big one. I tried to be as enthusiastic as possible, and managed to cover a good deal of information about what I knew about Kellogg. I had a prepared answer, and I think I managed to speak out 80% of that, I forgot the rest 20% :) I also used one sample line Miss K mailed me. Thanks K !

For my next question, she asked me about what I do outside of work, which I again had kind of a prepared answer - so quick and swift, I delivered my rant.

And that's all - when she said , do you have any questions for me ? I was surprised. No "tell me about a conflict situation", no "what is your leadership style", no "how do you work in teams"....nothing of that sort. Dispelling thoughts that "does this mean a ding?", I asked my set of 2 questions, and then we thanked each other, bid good byes, and the line dropped off.

I have no words to judge what this short conversation means, and I am no mood to analyse this any further. I have done my part(good or bad), and I will leave the rest to Him to decide. With this interview, I officially finish my bschool application process. Thanks to all of you who have helped me through the process with suggestions, constructive advice, critical information, and lots of support through the good and bad times. I dont know if I could have done it without this amazing blogger community.

Results will start trickling soon, and good or bad, you guys will get to know.
Have a great weekend.

[ I have wikied this post here]

15 comments:

Dinesh said...

Hmm. Phone interviews can be hard to predict. I recall that sghama posted a similar account after his Tuck interview..and he got in! Hope for the best. Good luck :)

Enjoy your new found extra free-time. Keep away from bweek forums ;)

MBABlogger said...

dont worry and hope for the best!!

Vinay Pandey said...

Good Luck mate! I think you did fine, the good news will follow soon ;)

i_will_make_it said...

F, congrats on completing your K interview! I know you did an awesome job. Glad I could be of help. :-)

Sounds like the interviewer wasn't prepared - calling you late and probably wasn't prepared w/ her questions either. Was it a 2nd-yr?

But on the flip side, you were prepared, and I know it showed through. You did fine. I'm hoping for the best! Go F!!

SgHama said...

F, phone interviews are tough and hard to gauge so don't worry, i'm sure you did just fine!

I dont know where I'll go yet if I get into all 3 schools - it's going to be a tough choice (i hope!)

i_will_make_it said...

Hope you're having a great weekend too! :-) I just went out with Marina! This blog community is so awesome.

Benny said...

"you gained a whole new "you" from this process. didnt you? i am sure you are even more charged up to do better for yourself now, arent you?"

That´s exactly how I feel... if things go wrong, at least I am prepared to better myself.
Thanks!

SugarRumCherry said...

Yeah, 12 out of 20 is not as great as I thought I'd do. Oh well ;-P

Congrats on all your interviews, I'm crossing my fingers for you! Which is your top choice?

Ash said...

awesome Forest !
i think you did great...im sure they have sorted you out into the "right" box...contrary to popular belief..more questions and more time is not always good...when i interviewed for my job..i was done in half the time it took other applicants and i thought that i was toast...and i could not have been more wrong...short interviews very often mean...he is what he sounds like on paper..good and sane !
so Kellog it is?
Keep runnning
cheers
Ash

Unknown said...

nice information posted here, and a wonderful blog

Marina said...

According to my mother I am WAY behind! I totally want both =/

MJ said...

like you said, you have done your part (and you seem to have done pretty well). also, i agree with Ash about a short interview often being a good sign. hope it works out for you!

sorebrek said...

Mr. Gump sir, thank you. That is very encouraging indeed. But believe it or not, right now the only preposterously large sum of money that I'm interested in, is a student loan ;-)

FooBarMe said...

I think you will do fine. Lets all keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.

George said...

does anybody know about to take a test (what subjets)before thwe interview? thanks in advance...