Wednesday, October 25, 2006

It was about the pencils

"It was not about big revolutionary ideas, it was about pencils", remarked Celine in the movie "Before Sunset". She also said,"that people who are most giving, hardworking and capable of making this world better, usually dont have the ambition and ego to be a leader". But this post is about the pencils, right?

As I sat watching the movie on my laptop again, Celine's words struck a chord. I got thinking if the business school (manic) essay writing process aligns to what she says. Two years in the process has given me a good amount of experience (the quality of the experience is questionable till I land the admit), and as I wrote the essays this year, I realised that it's not all about how I want to wipe out poverty from this world, or become a Bono working in Africa. It's a lot simpler. It's *probably* about how the small things I have done improved the lives of people around me. It's *probably* about the motivation I derived from those successes. It's *probably* about how I have used(and could use) that motivation to take my actions to next level, and make a bigger contribution.

Some of us get(or grab) the opportunity to be revolutionary leaders while still very young. But for most of us, we need to climb each step before reaching that pinnacle. It's *probably* those steps that the AdCom is interested to learn about. It's *probably* about those instances in your life that changed you as person, and made you that awesome "friend" or "colleague" you are today. You dont need to be the leader as defined in the Oxford dictionary, but you should be able to show the AdCom that you have the potential. You can stand out through ALL your qualities, and not just your leadership ones.

It's 5 am in Amman, 3 pm in Kamchatka, and 11 pm in Santo Domingo. I dont know where I am. Probably in a state where I want to write an essay and send it over to the Chicago folks ?

PS - If you are wondering about the context of the statements listed in the first para, it's about a mexican charity that was trying to figure out a way to transport pencils to schools in downtrodden areas of mexico.

9 comments:

JatWarrior said...

Good post! I think when we plan to do something big, we sometimes get caught up in the logistics and details of making it happen. That eats your valuable time, then you get impatient and turn off the switch. When you take small steps, you see the results sooner, albeit small scale, and that encourages you to go on.

UniQpath said...

Very nice post! I would agree with you said. It's so easy to get caught in the what people beat around and about. Thanks for sharing this. Best of luck!

Alex said...

i agree 100% - getting into MBA is not about saving the world but about how one excels at ordinary things. Like on of the MBA alums told me - doing ordinary things extraordinary excellent.

MBABlogger said...

hey forrest hows the apping scene going on for you ! Good luck

MBABlogger said...

6 :)

MBABlogger said...

Thanks forrest!

Inblue said...

absolutely stunning ! Echoes what I feel too. Its not about the big things in life, it about you and the world around you.and not'The world'... I know I must party.. Not as yet, I am writing my Tuck this weekend, but can't stop thinking about Chi. My GMAT is might not appeal that much..:(

Anyway All the best, to you and to me.

Sin said...

Interesting post! Very thought provoking and introspective! Now, if only we could put all our thoughts into fantastic words! Won't that be great?

Btw, I think it's time you updated your app status bar on the right. It still says 2005! :)

Good luck pal!

Unknown said...

Hey, now that Nov 1 has come and gone, what do the AdComs say? I hope your application is complete. Good luck and I hope you get in :)

BTW, love your new blog theme (or whatever you call it). It is always fun to come back to your blog.

Cheers