Sunday, October 22, 2006

Some tidbits from the BWeek rankings 06

BWeek released their MBA rankings on the 12th of Oct. We all know that. But since I have got access to the print magazine (thanks to CA), I read into the rankings in a little more detail than I otherwise would. Some stuff I found surprising or interesting (primarily drawn out of this chart - http://bwnt.businessweek.com/bschools/06/mba_main.asp)

+ Students rate Wharton's teaching quality at B (after A+ and A) - and Thomas Caleel had made me think that they had one of the best faculty in the world (I actually still believe Thomas)

+ Stanford and Michigan get a B too!

+ Recruiters rate MIT a B in both communication and teamwork.

+ Fuqua gets an A+ in all 5 categories, but check out this description - "Students on "Team Fuqua" enjoy the collaborative learning experience. Good for the hand-holding types but some would like more debate and conflict."

+ Recruiters give Harvard grads a B in teamwork.

+ Among the top 10 schools, Stanford had the lowest acceptance rate and Fuqua the highest.

+ Among the top 10 schools, Stanford had the highest number of internationals (at 43%) while Wharton and Columbia were close second at 42% (I had always thought that this percentage hovers around 30, but I guess I have the incorrect definition of what "Internationals" are)

Krannert Purdue had 45% internationals, and Rochester Simon has 48%!

+ Harvard is the costliest school to study in, followed by Wharton and Stanford. Is that why people consider them the top 3 schools irrespective of what the rankings say?

+ Kellogg ranked 23rd in intellectual capital, while UCLA Anderson was rank 1.

+ The average cost of the Harvard MBA is $345,401 and it takes 14.44 years to break even.

3 comments:

MBABlogger said...

14.44 yrs to break even :O

Kellogg did go in on the last day a few hours before the deadline :)

Hows it turning out for you.. hope you are going pretty strong !

Inblue said...

14.44 yrs to break even :O

Boy !! Am I going to even work that long.

BTW how are the apps coming out for you ? Am going to start of with my long R2 now . Long means almost 4 schools.

Hobbes said...

Heyyy! Welcome back to the blogosphere! :)

I guess most of the info in that chart was as expected, except the %age of internationals - I guess if you include Canadians as internationals, you might arrive @ that figure!

MIT n Tepper getting a B in communication - is that 'cuz they take in a lot of engineers? ;)

And HBS getting a B in teamwork - fits in well with the overly competitive image it has.

UNC has the highest acceptance rate among the top 20 - explains y I got in last yr :D

How are your apps progressing? Best of luck! :)