Saturday, September 23, 2006

CA School Guides and a quick update.

It's been a long time, but I dont have a lot of good news to report. But I wanted to drop a quick note, after taking the cue from Dave's recent post.

ClearAdmit recently released school guides for 5 different bschools. I must admit that they did a great job compiling that information, because reading through one of them I found myself with information that I didnt know about (that's bad considering I am thinking of reapplying to that school, but probably it shows the depth of CA's research). The guide is meant to cover all aspects of bschools, from history, to curriculum, to life standards, career opportunities and much more. While doing that, CA definitely provides you with a lot of information, and probably will make you think about things you want to stress.

So you are interested in buying the guide. Go right ahead.

But remember this one advice. Guides are guides. They dont have the magic mantra to secretly push into the school through a back door. They dont have the postal addresses of the adcom members so that you could send flowers. So make very sure you set your expectations right.

That's all I can write at the moment. As for updates, I am trying to survive in this bschool application race. I have to admit that I have had thoughts of bailing out of the race for this year, because I was not sure if I would be able to submit applications worthy of an admit. But I kinda didnt go that route, and am trying to give it whatever I can - albeit at this last moment. Who knows where I will end up, but I will try - as I have always done.

Good luck to all my fellow bloggers who are making significant strides in the application process. I hope you get the admits you want.

5 comments:

Nat4mba said...

Dear Forest: following several applicants' blogs this year (the best of them, I believe), I noticed that September was and is a very difficult time for almost everybody. Pressure at work, sudden engagements etc., many people feel really challenged at the moment. I could only say: keep your flag risen, the luck will be on your side!

Hobbes said...

I wud agree with nat4mba. There seems to be a sudden drop in the blogging activity in sept :-/

Most are prolly bzi in their apps. Or @ Work (like me)

kpmg said...

Hello Mr Forrest! :)

I was just hoping to get your take on the short term goals/long term goals. Since you brought it up in 2-3 postings ago.

Short term (3 years and below)- shouldn't short term goals cover going to business school for whatever reason? At least that's the approach I'm taking for Tuck's essays. Or am I approaching it wrongly?

Simply put, if your short term goals do not include business school, then you obviously shouldn't be applying?

Long term goals (more than 3 years) - basically where you want to go after your MBA?

Or am i just screwing up my essays?

Thanks! :)

Forrest Gump said...

Wannabe -

by definition, your short term goal should be what you want to do immediately after your MBA. your long term goal should be something down the, say maybe 10 years after your MBA - but the time frame isnt strict.

an MBA should never be part of your goals, instead it is always a step towards your goals.

the best essays link up career history (highlighting details from the past which tie in with your future goals) with the need for an MBA and how it can help you achieve your goals. also, why that particular school and why now.

i hope this helps, if you need more details, feel free to ask.

Hobbes said...

Hey forrest! Wassup? Whr r u?