Monday, April 03, 2006

That thing called hope !

Failures hurt - and that is a known fact. But they also give you a new perspective, and (if you take it with a right mindset) a desire to try even harder.

The last 2 weeks have been hard - first, to come in terms with the fact that this application season has ended, and I have no admit. With help from mbaformein08 - I still might be able to convert my Kellogg waitlist into an admit [ because she has said that she will convince all Kellogg admits to go to other schools :) ]. But with the fever of hope that Mave spreads, you cant but look up to brighter things in life. Thanks mate ! So it is up and ahead from here on.
As I contemplate anything from an career change attempt, to looking out for business schools I would probably reapply to, I came across this very interesting post by Brad Feld today - some excerpts below :

Business school certainly has value and serves a useful purpose in this world. However, the essence of the question points at one of the fundamental problems (and possibly misconceptions) about business school. I’m 40. I don’t believe that the degree I have has ever had any material impact on my “career” during the last 20 years. I can’t think of a single situation where it came up in a conversation about anything that I was considering doing.

If you want a two year break from life, go to business school. If you want to meet a bunch of new, generally smart, and always interesting people, go to business school. If you are a techie but like the business side of things, want to get an intellectual (and functional grounding) in business stuff, want a two year break from life, and want to meet interesting people, go to business school.

The complete post is available here : Dear MS. An MBA is BS

6 comments:

MBA Pundit said...

I know the feeling but hang in there. It shoud be all clear in a few weeks, the worst scenario being that you will have to re-apply. All the best.

Bschool Diva said...

There is a "boat-load" of people who didn't get in this year. Don't give up yet!!! Let's re-apply next year and if no admits then we can think about give up.

Dinesh said...

Failures hurt - and that is a known fact. But they also give you a new perspective, and (if you take it with a right mindset) a desire to try even harder.

So true. I'm more pumped up than ever, after the Chicago reject. Good luck in your career plan/strategy.

i_will_make_it said...

Forrest, I really do hope things turn around for you and Kellogg. Thanks for sharing Brad's post. He is correct that an MBA isn't for everyone. Many succeed w/out one. So we all need to think about: 1) what we want to do (who we want to be), 2) what we'd like to accomplish in x number of years, and 3) how an MBA program can directly help us achieve #1 and #2... or we could just do it on our own. :-)

I have faith in you, F.

MJ said...

hope kellogg works out for you! i'm doing my part for you too, trying to convince people to take up other offers :).

MBABlogger said...

That was such a sweet thing mj said to you :)
You were close buddy and I am sure next yr u will be on the other side of grey area for sure..at many more places..and u never know you might get there this time as well :)
Good lcuk